Earlier this year we visited The Bronx Zoo and had fun searching for all the Wild Attractions. We love visiting the Zoo throughout the year. On a nice day we can even take a nice leisurely walk. Okay, fine – we talk about walking to the Zoo, hasn’t really happened yet. One day.
But as members we run into the zoo whenever we want. A few weeks ago, we arrived before one hour before closing and ran across to the other of the Zoo just to ride the Monorail. It’s one of Norrin’s favorite attractions.
Norrin’s other favorite attraction is The Children’s Zoo. It’s been closed for more than a year and Norrin has been anxiously awaiting its reopening.
This treasured exhibit places an emphasis on getting kids outside and involved with nature! For many it will be the first time they encounter wild animals. And new species range from giant anteaters to sloths and the world’s smallest deer. There is a wonderful domestic petting zoo and as part of the celebration there will be a recycled children’s garden.
- Get dirty and learn how to make your garden grow at the Bronx Zoo’s dig station.
- Common Ground Farm will present Eat a Rainbow a hands-on discussion about why it’s important to eat a variety of colors and foods, with examples and samples.
- Join the Green Bronx Machine as they celebrate urban framing and lean about innovative ways to farm in the city
- McEnroe Organic Farm helps families learn the basics of composting their meal leftovers.
- Meet the soil’s best friend, the earthworm, in a fun and informative activity. Also, enjoy storytime with Professor Snail and his friends and explore a worm composting bin.
- Join the Green Bronx Machine and learn how to grow your own soil and create a small worm box.
- Eat Local NY presents a fermentation workshop and talks about pickling and fermentation
- French Culinary Institute chef, Lisa Witkowski presents healthy, seasonal recipes from the garden and shows kids how to utilize nutrition-packed ingredients for on-the-go fun snacks.
- Interactive Farm games! Have fun with dad by testing your skills at America’s favorite farm yard competition including a bean bag toss and cornhole
- Super Sprowtz will be onsite. Meet Roger and Colby Carrot on June 20 at 12:00-1:00pmand 2:00-3:00pm.
- Bee storytime from favorite author Lela Nargi
- Fancy some honey? The zoo will host honey tastings from Eat Local and explain the importance of pollinators
- Play Pollinatorpalooza! Children can find their inner bee, butterfly, or hummingbird as they learn the language of the bee to get their job done. They’ll also learn simple ways to help these special animals in their very own neighborhood and become official Pollinator Protectors.
- Hands-on activities to celebrate the opening of the Bronx Zoo Children’s Zoo with craft projects at the Dancing Crane Pavilion.
- Re-Usable the Musical, a one-of-a-kind show, where a young girl named Kazumi takes a musical journey to learn about protecting our animals in the wild with actions we take at home. This show teaches kids how to protect the planet using the five Rs: Refuse, Reuse, Reduce, Recycle, and a very special and important R: Remember. This show occurs in the Asia Theater at 12:30, 1:15, 2:00, 2:45, & 3:30.