Barnes & Noble executives said on Thursday that its store in Bay Plaza in Co-op City will remain open for two more years, reversing an earlier decision to close it after the year-end holidays. The announcement followed efforts by Ruben Diaz Jr., the Bronx borough president, to negotiate a compromise between the bookseller and its landlord, Prestige Properties & Development. [Winnie Hu, NYT]
But I took comfort knowing that I had the B&N in Bay Plaza. It’s the first bookstore I went to after Norrin was diagnosed with autism. It’s where I bought 3 copies of the April issue of Latina magazine, where my first print article was published. It’s where we like to spend Saturday afternoons, letting Norrin pick out his books.
According to Nielsen’s survey, ebooks constituted only 23 percent of unit sales for the first six months of the year, while hardcovers made up 25 percent and paperback 42 percent of sales…not only did overall print book sales, at 67 percent of the market, outpace ebook sales, both hardcovers and paperbacks individually outsold ebooks. [Claire Fallon, HuffPost Books]